If you never made a complete website by yourself and you feel a bit dragged around by the terminology that gives you a mediocre headaches, don’t worry all the answers will be given due time.
To simplify, domain registration and hosting are two separate services. Many companies combine both of the services to provide one complete product. If you still feel a bit dazzled by the difference, the metaphor should give you more insight into how easy is to separate the both.
Imagine that the domain name is like the address of your home and web hosting, on the other hand, is the space of your house where you place your personal valuables. It’s easy to remember, but let’s get more into it.
What is a Domain Name?
It is a name of your site that you registered and have a sole ownership and rights to, it also means that no one in the market can have the same name of their domain. If you are lucky enough the name of your choosing will be at your disposal, since millions of domain names have already been registered. It can be difficult to find a good one that is still available, so choose wisely, the name of your domain can be the future prospect of your business.
Important things to know:
Registering the domain name does not mean it’s yours forever, it has to be revived every year. But, to get thing even more simple and beautiful, you can register a domain upfront for a maximum of 10 years.
Once the domain reached its expiration date, it can be a bit tricky to regain ownership. Sometimes it won’t even be possible if someone beat you to it. In simple language, he or she was faster than you and does not want to sell it.
If a domain expires and you would like to register it again sometime in the future, no preference is given to previous owners of the domain. Always revive your domain name before the expiration date and you will save yourself from a big headache.
What is a Web Hosting?
Web hosting naturally refers to the web server, a physical hard drive which stores and hosts all your web content for people to access on the internet.
There are many types of web hosts to choose from. All you have to to do is to find the best one that suits your needs and preferences. It’s a matter of digging through different plans, comparing inclusions, and checking customer reviews to find which web hosts are out there.
You can check our hosting plans.
Important thing to ask web host before purchasing:
- What is the uptime guarantee? (Anything less than 99.9% is unacceptable)
- What is the average monthly uptime?
- What level of customer/ technical support do they offer? Online only? Phone? Email? Etc.?
- What payment plans are available? If you sign up for a few years subscription term, do you need to pay that full amount upfront or is it divided into increments?
- What are the renewal terms and fees?
- Are they the original hosting provider or a hosting services reseller?
- What are their server upgrade protocols? Are they able to upgrade their servers without downtime and provide you with upgrade plans in the future?
- What types of software you can run or install?
- What is the refund policy during the trial period? Etc.
If you are in doubt, you can check our guide on How To Choose A Good Web Hosting Company
The difference between the two is made clear, web hosts provide the service which gives you virtual storage for all your web content, remember the metaphor, it is a house for all your valuable things, while domain name is simple as the name implies, it is a recognition of your site, a brand an address. Remember to choose wisely and to stay in the current events.